What is Erasmus Mundus?
Erasmus Mundus is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education that aims to enhance the quality of European higher education and to promote dialogue and understanding between people and cultures through cooperation with Third-Countries. In addition, it contributes to the development of human resources and the international cooperation capacity of Higher education institutions in Third Countries by increasing mobility between the European Union and these countries.
The Erasmus Mundus programme provides support to:
- Higher education institutions that wish to implement joint programmes at postgraduate level or to set-up inter-institutional cooperation partnerships between universities from Europe and targeted Third-Countries
- Individual students, researchers and university staff who wish to spend a study / research / teaching period in the context of one of the above mentioned joint programmes or cooperation partnerships
- Any organisation active in the field of higher education that wishes to develop projects aimed at enhancing the attractiveness, profile, visibility and image of European higher education worldwide
The Erasmus Mundus 2009-2013 programme is implemented by the Executive Agency Education, Audiovisual and Culture (EACEA). The Erasmus Mundus is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education for:
• the enhancement of quality in European higher education;
• the promotion of the European Union as a centre of excellence in learning around the world;
• the promotion of intercultural understanding through cooperation with Third Countries as well as for the development of Third Countries in the field of higher education.
The EURICA programme falls under the plans for Erasmus Mundus Action 2, the second phase of exchange and scholarships since the programme began. Erasmus Mundus Action 2 provides:
- Support for the establishment of cooperation partnerships between European higher education institutions and higher education institutions from targeted Third Countries with the objective of organising and implementing structured individual mobility arrangements between the European and Third Country partners.
- Scholarships of various lengths - depending on the priorities defined for the Third Country concerned, the level of studies or the particular arrangements agreed within the partnership - for European* and Third-Country individuals (students, scholars, researchers, professionals).
EUrope and amerICA
Enhancing University Relations by Investing in Cooperative Actions, EURICA is a European-Latin American network for the advancement of Higher Education. It consists of twenty full member universities: seven in Europe, thirteen in Latin America. EURICA targets a total of fifteen countries: seven in Europe, eight in Latin America. Target countries in Europe are the Netherlands (University of Groningen, Coordinator), Czech Republic, Estonia, Italy, Poland, Romania, and Spain. Target countries in Latin America are El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua in Group A, and Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Mexico in Group B. The Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), a major player in Latin American Higher Education, is EURICA's regional co-coordinator.